ABOUT SKY HACIENDA

June Donaldson and Edward Garry live at an altitude of 2,600 metres in Mosoj Llajta, Yotala, 20 minutes from the colonial city of Sucre in Bolivia, South America. Using earth and stones from the land, we have sculpted beautiful buildings which compliment the high desert landscape and incorporate creative and innovative elements of design.

We have designed a high quality hotel in Sucre for guests who want to get off the treadmill of travelling from city to city in South America. At Sky Hacienda you can dictate your own timing and choose how to enjoy your stay, whether it is doing very little or exploring the best that the Andes in Bolivia has to offer.

11 August 2010

MISSING THE MARK


On 7 August I wrote what I though was a witty, if hysterical account of our problems with the electrical connection to our apartment in Sucre. The principal character was my landlady, Nela.

I would like to thank the one *anonymous person who commented on the post for showing me that I had, in fact, launched a character assault on Nela, when he/she concluded, 'What a "bitch" your landlady sounds'. It was such a shock for me to read those caustic words, as I consider that I have a good relationship with Nela. She has been very helpful to Ed and I with our applications for residency; I have brought her flowers and biscuits; she has made me herb tea when I have been sick and we always exchange a kiss on the cheek when we meet.

I asked my dear friend Ed to read the post, and he gently steered me to place where I could see why I had invited such a comment. On re-reading my post it is very clear that I forgot that Nela was a struggling human being and instead painted her as someone who deliberately set out to make my life a misery. I also forgot to remember why I am here in Bolivia - because I love the country and I love the people.

Bolivians rarely complain about anything (although when they get really mad they demonstrate and even block the roads), and this is a very attractive characteristic (and one I struggle to adopt). The negative side of this trait is that behaviour that is taken for granted in other societies - punctuality, competence and honesty are often disregarded. This is not a problem for Bolivians, but can be a problem for those adapting to living in Bolivia. Most of the time I remember that what can be interpreted as shortcomings are not malicious, and should not be taken personally. But sometimes I forget my desire to be patient and compassionate - I miss the mark.

I am going to renew my efforts to be a better person. I am off to deliver the flowers pictured above to Nela, with an apology for my bad attitude and a hug. I am also going to hit the delete button on my post of 7 August.

* Although I am grateful to the universe for using this person to give me a much needed message, I am slighty puzzled by their identity as they were signed in as the Absolute Absolution, the name of the boat I share with friends.

No comments: