ABOUT SKY HACIENDA

June Donaldson and Edward Garry live at an altitude of 2,600 metres in Mosoj Llajta, Yotala, 20 minutes from the colonial city of Sucre in Bolivia, South America. Using earth and stones from the land, we have sculpted beautiful buildings which compliment the high desert landscape and incorporate creative and innovative elements of design.

We have designed a high quality hotel in Sucre for guests who want to get off the treadmill of travelling from city to city in South America. At Sky Hacienda you can dictate your own timing and choose how to enjoy your stay, whether it is doing very little or exploring the best that the Andes in Bolivia has to offer.

29 September 2009

FEMALE WRESTLING IN BOLIVIA


This extract of Bolivian 'culture' was lifted from the Times newspaper and is acknowledged at the end of the article. The photos were obtained from Google images and I am grateful to those who took them.

If anyone is thinking of coming to Bolivia and landing in La Paz and is interested in experiencing femail wrestling, let me know and I'll join you............

A newly popular entertainment in '90s La Paz saw some unique contenders…

“Condor Rosa was 5’1” to my 6’3”, 7 stone to my 16. I was 26, a karate black belt and a champion kick-boxer. She was 47, an Aymara mother-of-six in full traditional dress – two long black pigtails under a bowler hat and oceans of coloured petticoats, with an over-cape of black (presumably condor) feathers.

"I smiled to say 'Don’t worry!' – and she punched me squarely in the throat, jabbed both thumbs in my eyes, then stamped hard on my instep and head-butted me flush on the chin.

"As I went down, half-blind and gagging, she slammed an elbow across my cheekbone. Then she started climbing the ropes for a full-on body slam.

"I rolled out of range and staggered up. I was nearly vomiting, had blurred vision, my head was ringing, and my tongue bitten through and bloody. Condor Rosa climbed off the ropes and, without thinking, on pure instinct, I threw a hard left and right: bang, BANG!

"Her eyes rolled up to the whites, her bowler hat flew over the top rope and she hit the canvas spread-eagled in a perfect crucifix.

"There was total silence in the room for about ten seconds. Then someone threw a bottle (Ay! Ay! Ay!), and Dave shouted, 'Time to go!'”

Weird World (Bradt Travel Guides, £14.99), featuring the strangest stories and oddest images from around the planet, is available from October 1 2009.

1 comment:

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.